Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Thanksgiving and God’s Character

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!  

I was thinking back to the days when my children would think of something that we were thankful for in association with the letters of the word Thanksgiving.  It’s a simple game but it was one way of focusing on thankfulness rather than on our selfish desires.

As I thought about the things that I was thankful for this year, I was drawn to look deeper at the character of God, our heavenly father.  Were it not for Him, I would have nothing to be thankful for.  Here is my personal list of attributes that proclaim God as glorious.  

T       God is Truth
Psalm 119:160 (English Standard Version)
The sum of your word is truth,
and every one of your righteous rules endures forever

H       God is Honest
Deuteronomy 32:4 
(New International Reader's Version)
  He is the Rock. His works are perfect.
      All of his ways are right.
   He is faithful. He doesn't do anything wrong.
      He is honest and fair.

A       God is Amazing
Revelation 15:3 (English Standard Version)
And they sing the song of Moses, the servant of God,
and the song of the Lamb, saying,
"Great and amazing are your deeds,
O Lord God the Almighty!
Just and true are your ways,
O King of the nations!

N       God is Near
Psalm 34:18 (New American Standard Bible)
The LORD is near to the brokenhearted
 And saves those who are crushed in spirit.
  
K       God is Kind
Psalm 145:17 (Contemporary English Version)
Our LORD, everything you do
is kind and thoughtful

S       God is a Shield
Psalm 91:4 (New International Reader's Version)
He will cover you with his wings.
Under the feathers of his wings you will find safety. 
 He is faithful. He will keep you safe like a shield or a tower.

G       God is Good
Deuteronomy 32:4 (New International Version)
He is the Rock, his works are perfect, 
and all his ways are just. 
A faithful God who does no wrong, 
upright and just is he.

I       God’s is Immanuel (God is with us)
Matthew 1:23 (New International Version)
“The virgin will conceive and give birth to a son, 
and they will call him Immanuel (which means “God with us”).

V       God is Victorious
Habakkuk 3:18 (Amplified Bible)
Yet I will rejoice in the Lord;
I will exult in the victorious God of my salvation!

I       God Does the Impossible
Luke 1:37 (New International Reader's Version)
Nothing is impossible with God.

N       God's Love is Never Failing
Psalm 6:4 (New International Reader's Version
Lord, turn to me and help me.
Save me.  Your love never fails.

G       God is Gracious
Psalm 86:15 (English Standard Version)
But you, O Lord, are a God merciful and gracious,
slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love and faithfulness.


What better way to celebrate Thanksgiving than to focus our eyes on the awesome character of our God!  

I’ll close with some silly bandaging pictures of AJ – don’t worry, his head is fine – he just wanted to have some fun.




Happy Thanksgiving,

Barbara

1 comment:

  1. Hello all..wishing you a peacful holiday weekend..
    john, beth, zachary, casey and becky

    ReplyDelete